Words That Listen
A Literary Companion to the Lectionary
This item is in stock and will be dispatched within 48 hours.
More than 50 units in stock.
A Bible commentary with a difference, Words That Listen provides readings from world literature to accompany every Gospel passage of the Revised Common Lectionary for Years A, B and C.
For each Sunday Gospel reading, it offers four extracts, with commentary, from fiction, nonfiction, poems, great speeches and sacred texts, to plays, television and film scripts, social commentaries, and theologians past and present.
Authors featured include:
* writers from the classical Christian tradition, from Origen to Rowan Williams
* many literary greats, including Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde
* recent and contemporary poets: U. A. Fanthorpe, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and Malcolm Guite
* modern novelists and writers: P D James, Annie Dillard, Maya Angelou, Stephen King and Marilynne Robinson
* filmmakers and screenwriters: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg
* songwriters and musicians: Leonard Cohen, U2, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga
* paintings from leading artists that illuminate biblical events and encounters.
Bound in two paperback volumes in a slipcase, Words That Listen brings together the worlds of art and faith to offer a unique resource for all who preach.
London's 100 Best Churches
Calling On the Spirit in Unsettling Times
Where Prayer Flourishes
A Heart Strangely Warmed
A Year of Grace
A Walsingham Rosary
Other products in this Category
The Word is Very Near You: Feasts and Festivals
Prayers for an Inclusive Church
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 1
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 3
The Good Worship Guide
Joining the Angels' Song
Word of Truth
Word Among Us
Come to the Feast
Common Worship Daily Eucharistic Lectionary