A Bible commentary with a difference, Words That Listen provides readings from world literature to accompany every Gospel passage of the Revised Common Lectionary for Years A, B and C.
For each Sunday Gospel reading, it offers four extracts, with commentary, from fiction, nonfiction, poems, great speeches and sacred texts, to plays, television and film scripts, social commentaries, and theologians past and present.
Authors featured include:
* writers from the classical Christian tradition, from Origen to Rowan Williams
* many literary greats, including Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf and Oscar Wilde
* recent and contemporary poets: U. A. Fanthorpe, Seamus Heaney, Mary Oliver, Wendell Berry and Malcolm Guite
* modern novelists and writers: P D James, Annie Dillard, Maya Angelou, Stephen King and Marilynne Robinson
* filmmakers and screenwriters: Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg
* songwriters and musicians: Leonard Cohen, U2, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga
* paintings from leading artists that illuminate biblical events and encounters.
Bound in two paperback volumes in a slipcase, Words That Listen brings together the worlds of art and faith to offer a unique resource for all who preach.
Together and Different
Doorways to the Sacred
Speaking of Sin
Part of the One Church?
Christ and Culture
The Mindful Leader
The Church's Folk Songs
Making All Things New
New English Praise
Dreams and Spirituality
Creation Sings Your Praise
Other products in this Category
Word in Our Time
Word Among Us
The Word of the Lord Year C
Come to the Feast
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 1
Word of the Lord
Word of the Lord: Year B
The Word is Very Near You: Feasts and Festivals
The Word of the Lord Year A
Celebrating the Christian Year - Volume 2
Prayers for an Inclusive Church