Spiritual direction is a burgeoning ministry in today's church where the emphasis is on joining in with what God is already doing in the world - an approach that presupposes spiritual discernment.
This guide explores spiritual direction from biblical and theological perspectives and aims both to inform teaching and equip practitioners with greater reflective skills. Written by two experienced teachers and practitioners, it includes:
* God and Spiritual Direction - divine presence and absence, discerning God, relationship and the Trinity, images of the Holy Spirit;
* Humanity and God - being made in the image of God, sin, addiction, desire, freedom, psychology in direction;
* The Bible and Spiritual Direction - scripture as a source and authority for direction; uses and abuses of the Bible in direction;
* Spiritual Direction across the Christian traditions;
* Spiritual Direction and the Church - boundaries, accountability and safeguarding.